At the beginning of my skincare journey, I honestly didn’t believe much in the power of botanical extracts doing anything for your skin. By that time I had used countless The Body Shop products (namely the tea-tree and seaweed range which were marketed for combo skin) and was sorely disappointed every time. Not many things worked and raving HG products were just a no-no. In lieu of that, my first toner was just such a fail (an extremely raved one by countless influencers) that for the longest time, left me hating toners. But delving more into the whole skincare world, I found out that toners were of different types and I just needed to look for one that catered my skin needs, instead of what was marketed towards my skin type or age. So after the longest search, I found this toner, and since then I’ve never looked back.
What is it and what does it claim to do:
The Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner is a non-irritating toner that rejuvenates and restores hydration to the skin. It balances the skin’s pH level and improves the effectiveness of the entire skin regime. Consisting of various plant extracts and soothing ingredients for calming, it provides full hydration deep within the skin.
Water, Butylene Glycol, Dimethyl Sulfone, Betaine, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Natto Gum, Sodium Hyaluronate, Disodium EDTA, Centella Asiatica Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Polyquaternium-51, Chlorphenesin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carbomer, Panthenol, Arginine, Luffa Cylindrica Fruit/Leaf/Stem Extract, Beta-Glucan, Althaea Rosea Flower Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Lysine HCL, Proline, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Acetyl Methionine, Theanine, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens Flower Oil, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Cananga Odorata Flower Oil, Copper Tripeptide-1
Key Ingredients breakdown:
- Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract (Aloe vera): World renowned for its anti-inflammatory, anti septic and healing properties.
- Tocopheryl Acetate: A form of vitamin E which is a natural skin-conditioning agent and antioxidant. It enhances the efficacy of active sunscreen ingredients, reduces the formation of free radicals from exposure to UV rays, promotes the healing process, strengthens the skin’s barrier function, protects and reduces water loss from the skin.
- Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate: A stable, water-soluble form of vitamin C that functions as an antioxidant and is very effective for brightening an uneven skin tone. In addition to this, it also has anti-aging properties and may stimulate collagen production in the skin.
- Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root Extract (Licorice Extract): A soothing and healing botanical extract which also has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. It may also help to reduce skin-discoloration and age spots due to its natural skin-lightening properties (but little research has been done on this aspect).
- Natto Gum: A fermentation product of soy protein, it has potent antioxidant effects which include diminishing appearance of fine lines, skin brightening and moisturizing effects.
- Sodium Hyaluronate: A sodium salt of Hyaluronic Acid, this has a smaller molecular size than hyaluronic acid and so has a stronger humectant effect in the skin, being able to hold more water into the skin and thus resulting in less wrinkles and more smoother skin.
- Centella Asiatica Extract: It is has powerful skin soothing and smoothing properties as well as abundant anti-aging, anti-inflammatory and wound healing properties, which may explain why this is a favorite ingredient in acne treatment products.
- Beta Glucan: A polysaccharide sugar derived from yeast or oats, it has anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and skin soothing properties and may also be a potent wrinkle reducer, promoting scar and wound healing. This also helps reducing skin irritation.
- Arginine: a powerful antioxidant that helps in collagen production.
Apart from all these ingredients, there are a bunch of essential oils like lavender oil, eucalyptus globus leaf oil, Pelargonium Graveolens Flower Oil, Lemon Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis Peel Oil and Cananga Odorata Flower Oil which are seemingly only there for scent and are not highlighted as active ingredients.
You can find the in-depth analysis of all the other ingredients here.
The toner comes in a dark plastic bottle with a standard toner dispenser.
Texture and scent:
This has the lightest herbal scent which is present very verrryyy faintly present and disappears within a few seconds. The texture is watery, but not too much.. kind of like a watered down gel serum.
Does it work?
I’ve used it on and off for around 4 months now, and I can safely say that yes, it does work. The first time I used this, my skin just drank this up. It absorbs well into the skin, within a few seconds if its winter, and within a few minutes if its extremely humid. You don’t need much, but that also depends on how do you want to use it. You can use it like a hydrating toner for the kbeauty 7-skin method or just as a hydrating or even as a pH balancing toner.
Upon immediate application this soothed my skin and lightly hydrated it. I waited for this to absorb into my skin before patting in another layer and was pleasantly surprised to see much of the redness toned down and my skin was a bit bouncy. After 2 weeks of using this, most of the tiny bumps along my jaw line and on my forehead were smoothed out, my skin appeared brighter and was just bouncy, plumper and well hydrated. After a month of usage, I think I was in love: my skin was deeply hydrated, softer, less sore from the scorching sun, more brighter and a bit even toned. If I had any potential hormonal breakouts, they never reached the red zone or inflamed stage and just disappeared after a day or too. If I had (sun)burnt my skin during this time, I would quickly start the 7-skin method with this toner and my skin would heal faster without as many blemishes. I think the most prominent effect this had on my skin was calming it after a day out (nothing ever works in this regard), healing and hydration. I cant say much about it helping to layer other skincare products because I like to keep my routine very minimal, but I can vouch for this: it didn’t interfere with the absorption of the VC effector or the Retinol Serum in my routine( the only 2 products I used after this)
- Makes skin calmer and soothes it
- Hydrates skin making it more bouncy
- Smoothing effect on skin
- Skin gets tacky if a lot of layers of this toner is used (for the 7 skin method)
- If you have an extremely sensitive nose, I’d suggest to go with the unscented version
Definitely going to repurchase this and stock it up for eternity!
This is a great toner if you want to just amp up your skincare game but are scared of the crazy ingredients in the market or have extremely sensitive skin or compromised skin barrier due to over-exfoliation. You might not see immediate results (trust me, I was the most critical with this product, as I am with all the highly raved ones), but you WILL see the difference. I love this toner especially for the fact that I can use this if I get a sunburn or when I have over-exfoliated and this just works phenomenally and does not burn my skin. Also, using this with the 7-skin method has just been amazing for my skin, almost akin to using a sheetmask on those days.
Note: This product was purchased by myself and NOT provided for review. All opinions are unbiased and my own. Do not expect any miracles if you are not consistent with your skincare, have a bad diet or go rouge without sunscreen more than ‘occasionally’. Also, everybody has different skin types and what might have worked for me may not necessarily work for you. (But I really hope it does, though)